Some adjustments to your Home windows PC can solely be made by BIOS or UEFI. The strategy of getting there varies from urgent the correct key on the proper time to utilizing a number of desktop instruments. As an alternative of simply questioning methods to enter BIOS in Home windows, select your favourite methodology beneath.
Good to know: Home windows 11 S is an alternate model of Home windows that focuses on safety. Discover ways to activate it.
1. Press a key throughout startup
The preferred methodology, and the first methodology for older variations of Home windows, is to press a selected key or key mixture throughout the boot course of. The one downside with this methodology is that the important thing varies from producer to producer.
For older Home windows computer systems, the boot course of is slower. Search for the important thing(s) on the display simply earlier than the Home windows emblem seems or on the Begin display itself. Most Home windows 10 and 11 PCs boot a lot quicker, which implies you in all probability will not see the important thing. These are probably the most generally used keyboard shortcuts:
- Delete (or Del)
The more than likely keys for widespread laptop producers embrace:
- Acer: F2 or Del
- Asus: F2 or Del
- Dell: F2 or F12
- Gateway: F1 or F2
- HP: Esc or F10 (some older fashions use F2 or F12)
- Lenovo: F1 or F2
- MSI: Del
- Samsung: F2
- Sony: F1 or F2
- Floor: maintain and launch the ability button whereas holding Improve the amount
- Toshiba: F2, F12or Esc
You have to to restart your laptop and press the proper key as quickly because the boot course of begins. Maintain urgent it till the BIOS display seems.
A tip: Home windows Terminal utility not opening? Discover ways to repair it.
2. Home windows restoration
On some newer Home windows computer systems, you can not enter BIOS or UEFI settings with only a keystroke. As an alternative, you must enter restoration mode first. The steps differ barely between Home windows 10 and 11, however the finish consequence is similar.
- Go to Begin and choose (or seek for) “Settings”.
- Go to System in Home windows 11 or Replace & Safety in Home windows 10.
- Choose “Restoration” in the correct pane of Home windows 11. In Home windows 10, it is within the left pane.
- Faucet “Restart Now” subsequent to “Superior Startup”. Your laptop will restart instantly. Ensure you save all open work earlier than doing this.
- On the following display, choose “Troubleshoot”.
- Choose “Superior choices”.
- Choose “UEFI Firmware Settings”. If you do not have UEFI, discover ways to convert your previous BIOS to UEFI. It’s also possible to familiarize your self with the variations between the 2.
- Press “Restart”.
- Choose “BIOS Setup”. Save the important thing subsequent to this feature so you need to use it sooner or later.
3. Enter the BIOS by the command line
For those who do not need to undergo a number of home windows in Settings, it is attainable to make use of a single command to restart your laptop and entry superior startup choices, similar to we did within the earlier part.
In Home windows 10, you need to use the command line. In Home windows 11, you even have the choice of utilizing the Terminal app. Nonetheless, the command is similar in each instances.
- Press I am profitable + RKind
cmdwithin the Run window and press “OK” to open the command immediate. For those who desire to make use of a terminal window, press I am profitable + x and choose “Terminal (Admin).”
- are available
shutdown /r /o /f /t 00command on the immediate. This may instantly restart your laptop.
- When your laptop restarts, it is going to be the identical course of because the earlier part. Go to “Troubleshoot -> Superior Choices -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart -> BIOS Setup.”
A tip: be taught the variations between the command line and PowerShell to find out which is healthier in your wants.
4. Enter by Run
A less complicated model of the earlier methodology is to enter the shutdown command immediately within the Run dialog field.
- Press I am profitable + R to open a brand new window.
shutdown /r /o /f /t 00within the field.
- Press “OK” to reboot, enter the superior choices display, then choose “Troubleshooting -> Superior Choices -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart -> BIOS Setup.”
5. Use Shift Restart
If you’re searching for the quickest methodology to enter BIOS in Home windows 11, Shift + I am rebooting choice is the only option. This mixture restarts your laptop and takes you to the superior choices window proven within the earlier strategies.
- For those who’re on the login display, choose the Energy button together with your mouse to convey up shutdown, sleep, and restart choices. For those who’re on the desktop, open the Begin menu and click on the Energy button.
- Maintain on Shift and click on “Restart” with the mouse on the similar time.
- This could instantly restart your laptop and take you to the Superior Startup Choices window. From there, go to “Troubleshoot -> Superior Choices -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart -> BIOS Setup.”
6. Particular button
Some computer systems embrace a devoted BIOS button or mixture of buttons that can help you shortly entry the BIOS. For instance, in case you have a Floor gadget, you need to use Improve the amount and the ability button on the similar time to reboot into BIOS.
A tip: which is the most secure choice: turning off your laptop or placing it to sleep? We weigh the professionals and cons of each modes.
7. Create a shortcut
The quickest approach to enter your BIOS in Home windows is thru a shortcut icon. If you must enter the BIOS ceaselessly, it is effectively price making a shortcut in your desktop. Simply do not by accident press it otherwise you’ll abruptly reboot your laptop.
- Proper-click the place you need to create your new BIOS shortcut.
- Choose “New -> Shortcut”.
- Enter this path within the location discipline:
shutdown /r /o /f /t 00.
- Give your shortcut a reputation and press “End”.
- You will notice your new icon. Proper-click the icon and choose Properties.
- Choose Superior within the Shortcut tab.
- Examine “Run as administrator”. Press “OK” and “Apply” to save lots of the adjustments.
- If you wish to change the picture of the icon, right-click on it and choose “Properties”. Choose Change Icon within the Shortcut tab. Choose an icon and choose Apply.
- If you click on the icon, your laptop restarts instantly and also you enter the Superior Choices window as within the earlier strategies. Then go to “Troubleshoot -> Superior Choices -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> Restart -> BIOS Setup.”
Good to know: Is your Home windows PC randomly waking up from sleep? Study what to do about it.
In latest variations of Home windows, Quick Boot helps your laptop begin up quicker. As an alternative of truly shutting down, it goes into a mix of hibernation and partial shutdown. For those who attempt to enter the BIOS by turning in your laptop from a shutdown state, you possibly can’t as a result of the pc has by no means been booted from scratch.
Quick Boot can also be recognized to trigger issues when attempting to restart your laptop to entry the BIOS. For those who’re having hassle moving into the BIOS, attempt disabling Quick Boot.
- Open the Begin menu and seek for Management Panel. Choose the consequence.
- Choose “Energy Choices”.
- Click on on “Select what the ability buttons do” on the left facet.
- Click on on “Change settings that aren’t at present out there”.
- Uncheck “Allow quick startup” and hit “Save adjustments”. If that does not repair your downside, you possibly can flip it again on later.
A tip: attempt utilizing the command line to open information and folders.
Often Requested Questions
Why do I get an error once I attempt the Run or Command Immediate strategies?
For those who should not have administrative rights, it’s possible you’ll not be capable of restart your laptop this fashion. In actual fact, it is attainable that not one of the strategies above will can help you enter the BIOS. That is to guard delicate system settings from non-administrator customers. You’ll be able to change a normal person account to an administrator and vice versa from any administrator account.
Why will not any key let me enter the BIOS?
Newer Home windows computer systems typically load too shortly so that you can press the important thing. That is very true for computer systems with SSDs. You’ll be able to attempt holding down the proper key from the second you restart or press the ability button on the pc.
Can I set my laptop to point out superior startup choices each time?
No. You will need to enter the proper key or use one of many reboot strategies above to enter the superior boot choices window.
Picture credit score: Flickr. All screenshots by Crystal Crowder.
Subscribe to our publication!
Our newest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox